Guests - None
New Member Applicants - none, please continue to think of your friends that are looking for an outlet to their charitable activities - between projects in the community through our club and the world through Rotary International your friends can also get some food for their soul by doing good deeds and having fun at the same time. Don't be a HOG, SHARE!!!!
Theme - Children of Washington County
Vocational on-site visit - this meeting was an on-site visit to the brand spanking new Dixie Middle School orchestrated by Pam Graff (Washington County Foundation). Pam provided light breakfast from Einstein bagels - delicious as usual and the school staff will appreciate the leftovers. Thank you Pam!!!!!
We learned the following:
- the school houses about 840 students currently
- it can handle about 950 - the school district prefers to have smaller schools to allow the staff to know each student and help them along
- The facilities are amazing - the school is very much like a high school or a college.
- Common area is huge, several computer labs, beautiful classrooms, kids do a lot of work on laptops (Chrome books) individually or small groups
- a small theater with a stage for productions and an orchestra room - the only two rooms in the school without outside windows.
- beautiful library with wall-size windows that will look out to the new baseball field that is being build where the old middle school was - they can sell box seats in that room for baseball games, it is that awesome
-Shop room is large and airy, a couple science labs are well equipped with what students need and safety equipment they hopefully will never use
- The principal said that a number of home schoolers re-enrolled in school to take part in this beautiful school
- The kids are very welcoming as we visited some classrooms and very well behaved. Having spent my time in Chicago this was eye opening how awesome the environment is made for kids by us, the taxpayers - kudos to us!!!! Hopefully the kids get inspired and their desire to attain their life goals is increased measurably by their surroundings.
Members that were not there, we missed you.
Those of you not yet members of our club - you are missing out on being a contributor to a better place to live locally and globally. Come join us and find food for your soul through volunteer activities and superb breakfast courtesy of John Braaten and his elves at Abbey Inn.